Little Phoenix Kids Kung Fu
The Little Phoenix kids classes cater for primary school aged children (ages 4-13 with some exceptions) and use basic Kung Fu martial skills to improve and develop:
- Co-ordination and reflexes
- Confidence – increased confidence gained through martial arts training can be a strong deterrent in dangerous situations
- Respect for self and others
- Concentration and self-discipline
- Situational awareness – can prevent a conflict from even occurring
- Emotional awareness – learning to control one’s emotions under duress
Students are taught physical and martial skills as well as how to have the confidence and body awareness to de-escalate a conflict over resorting to physical violence. This is an invaluable life lesson that children use moving forward into adulthood.
Little Phoenix kids class runs once a week on Sundays.
We commence classes in line with the ACT School Terms
(first Sunday after Week 1 for 9 Lessons).
Students are welcome to join at any time during a term.
Lessons continue on Public Holidays.
Sunday 9:30am – 10:20am
** CWC Little Phoenix will be offering Tuesday night classes starting in Term 4 2019**
5:40pm – 6:30pm
Term 1: Sunday 10 February 2019 – 7 April 2019
Term 2: Sunday 5 May 2019 – Sunday 30 June 2019
Term 3: Sunday 28 July 2018 – Sunday 22 September 2019
Term 4: Tuesday 15 October 2019 – Sunday 17 December 2019
Term and Annual Fees
- Free trial lesson
- Individual child: $100 for 1 lesson a week OR $190 for 2 lessons a week
- 2 or more children (Discounted Family Fee): $80 each for 1 lesson a week OR $150 each for 2 lessons a week
- Casual Lessons: $15
Term fees are due at the start of school term. Payment is per school term or part thereof.
If a student joins midterm, they will be discounted accordingly.
Annual Membership Fee
Capital Wing Chun Memberships fees are $100 for 12 months and includes:
- Little Phoenix Uniform
- Public liability and professional indemnity for the school
- Personal injury for students accidentally injured in class for cover outside of Medicare.
- Gradings, grading shirts and patches
- Capital Wing Chun Grade 4
- Certified Canberra Wing Chun Academy Grade 3
- Working with Vulnerable People Card
- First Aid Certificate with Asthma and Anaphylaxis training
Georgia has been a student of Wing Chun for 7 years, training with Instructor Brendan Bail since his first class at the Tuggeranong branch of Canberra Wing Chun.
Georgia is currently studying Practical Wing Chun under Sifu Anto Abramovic, and has also trained with Sifu Allan Graham (Canberra Wing Chun Academy) and Daren Elvey (Ving Tsun Combat Science, Melbourne). Georgia has been competing in the Australia National All Styles Martial Arts Competition circuit since 2016 and has earned medals at the national level for both Points and Continuous Sparring. She has over 5 years experience working with children at Lollipop’s Playground & Cafe in Bentleigh East and working in after school care at Aranda Afters.
“I believe learning a martial art is useful in understanding one’s body and its physical capabilities. Learning how to think, speak and move in a respectful but also fun environment is a fantastic opportunity to learn how to defend yourself and others from a young age.”
- Capital Wing Chun Grade 3
- Working With Vulnerable People Card
- Asthma, Anaphylaxis and Epilepsy training
Elizabeth is currently studying her Bachelor of Primary Teaching at University of Canberra and works part time in the childcare industry where she enjoys supporting children to build their self-confidence and creativity.
Elizabeth has been a student of Wing Chun for 5 years training under Brendan Bail. Elizabeth has also trained in the Japanese sword art of Kendo. Elizabeth competed in the 2019 National All Styles Martial Arts Tournament in sparring.
“Martial Arts training is an engaging way for children to develop confidence, skill and resilience. I really enjoy watching every child grow and learn new skills that build their physical strength as well as their character.”
- Capital Wing Chun Grade 2
- Certified Canberra Wing Chun Academy Grade 1
- Working with Vulnerable People Card
- Senior First Aid Certificate with Asthma and Anaphylaxis training
Amie has been working with children for over 21 years, including managing multiple after school care organisations in both the ACT and NSW. She is devoted to helping children build on their individual confidence and development.
Amie has been a member of the Canberra Wing Chun community for 5 years and has spent this time training under Instructor Brendan Bail.
“I have a passion to ensure children can become their ‘best self’ and have had many years of experience with helping children develop through my work in the childcare industry and school environments.”
The Little Phoenix gradings are run twice yearly and are during the normal class times.
T-shirts are earned by the kids and awarded by Kids Class Instructors. They represent the student’s experience (attendance) and application of the curriculum.
- Grey shirt: Entry level. Learning outcomes to be demonstrated include: Class orientation and respect for the school environment, improved coordination, body awareness and communication.
- Green Shirt: Earned after approximately 35 lessons (equivalent to 1 year of attendance). Learning outcomes to be demonstrated include: Practising basic Wing Chun stance, leg and hand techniques & developing self confidence.
- Red Shirt: Earned after approximately 75 lessons (equivalent to 2 years of attendance). Learning outcomes to be demonstrated include: Demonstration of Wing Chun drills and basic self defense skills, situational awareness.
- Black Shirt: Earned after approximately 125 lessons (equivalent to 3 years or more of attendance). Learning outcomes to be demonstrated include: Application of Wing Chun techniques, basic Chi Sao, trapping and light sparring, and student mentally and physically preparing to transition to the adult class. Sil Lim Tao (first form) in it’s entirety.
Wing Chun and Kids
Wing Chun Kung Fu is based on economy of movement, with the use of breathing, alignment of body movement for effective and efficient self-defense. The direct lines and simplicity and economy of movement of Wing Chun makes the style logical for kids to learn, and we enable and encourage the Little Phoenix’s to apply techniques in safe but contact-effective scenarios.
The movements are practical rather than decorative or impressive. The whole school, adults class included, has a learning environment based on mutual respect and interest in gaining new knowledge and skills and this extends to our kids class. Each class is always a bit different; there is a core warm-up set, then varied exercises, drills, training and sparring, and a Wing Chun form at the end of class. The exercises and drills are often performed in pairs, with all student’s learning from each other.
We also draw upon the skills of our adult members of the club and invite them to assist with classes from time to time, and use the educational pedagogy approaches from our experience and study in early childhood education to identify individual students learning needs.
This combination of teaching strategies in a creative learning environment provides your child(ren) with a diverse and tailored program that is unique to their learning and development.
All adults who assist in the classes must have a Working With Vulnerable Persons Card.
Private Lessons for kids are also available for current CWC Members.
Please get in contact with Georgia to discuss
Click the link below for more details